Thursday, July 29, 2010

You Can Go Home Again




Ever get that feeling of deja vu? Happened to me recently as I was enjoying my coffee and reading the sunday NY Times online automotive section. The article was titled Lots of Web Traffic in Such a Tiny Town and the photography immediately drew my eye. Here were these wonderful photos of 50's and 60's automobiles... clearly models, but set into the most realistic backgrounds. Something seemed familiar... I'd been to some of these places before, but how could that be? They're only models after all. As I read further, it all fell into place. These 1/24-scale diecast car and truck models were mixed and matched with scratch-built sets, and then photographed against actual outdoor backdrops in and around Winchester, Ma. The place where I was born and spent the first eighteen years of my life. These images seem to capture the memories of those early childhood years where old Packards and Divco milk trucks still roamed Wedgemere Ave. I've had some email correspondence with Michael Smith about his work and the themes running through many of his readers comments resonate with me. It takes people back to a simpler place and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment